Shri Pranab Mukherjee
Shri Pranab Mukherjee
Honourable President of India
Father’s Name: Late Shri Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee
Mother’s Name: Late Smt. Rajlakshmi Mukherjee
Date of Birth: 11th December, 1935.
Place of Birth: Mirati, Kirnahar, District Birbhum (West Bengal) India.
Marital Status: Married on 13th July, 1957.
Spouse Name: Smt. Suvra Mukherjee.
Children: Two sons and one daughter.
Educational Qualifications: M.A (History), M.A (Political Science) LL.B, D. Litt.(Honoris Causa) Educated at Vidyasagar College, Calcutta University.
Family Background: Father was a freedom fighter, was imprisoned for more than 10 years, participated in all Congress movements from 1920, was a member of AICC, and West Bengal Legislative Council (1952-64), President, District Congress Committee, Birbhum (WB).
2-A, 1st Floor,
60/27, Kabi Bharti Sarani (Lake Road),
Tel: (033) 24648366.
Positions held in Parliament
- Elected to Rajya Sabha July, 1969.
- Re-elected to Rajya Sabha 1975, 1981, 1993 and 1999. Elected to the 14th Lok Sabha on 13th May, 2004.
- Deputy Leader, Congress Party in Rajya Sabha 1978-80.
- Leader of the House, Rajya Sabha 1980-1985.
- 1996 onwards
- Member, Business Advisory Committee
- Member, Committee on Privileges.
- Member, Committee on Rules.
- Member, Consultative Committee for External Affairs 1996-99.
- Chairman, Department- related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Science & Technology, Environment & Forests 1997.
- Chairman, Department-related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs, June 1998 onwards.
- Leader of the House, Lok Sabha, June, 2004 till June 2012.
Positions held in Union Government
- Deputy Minister, Industrial Development from February, 1973 to January, 1974.
- Deputy Minister, Shipping and Transport from January, 1974 to October, 1974.
- Minister of State for Finance from October, 1974 to December, 1975.
- Minister of Revenue and Banking (Independent Charge) from December, 1975 to March, 1977.
- Cabinet Minister of Commerce and Steel & Mines from January, 1980 to January, 1982.
- Cabinet Minister of Finance from January, 1982 to December, 1984 with additional charge of Ministry of Commerce and Supply from September to December 31, 1984.
- Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, June 1991 to May 1996.
- Cabinet Minister of Commerce from January 1993 to February 1995.
- Cabinet Minister of External Affairs from February 1995 to May 1996.
- Cabinet Minister of Defence, from 22 May 2004 to 24 October 2006.
- Cabinet Minister of External Affairs from October 2006 to May 2009.
- Cabinet Minister of Finance from 24 January 2009 to 26 June 2012.
Positions held in International Organizations
- Board of Governors -
- International Monetary Fund, 1982-1985.
- World Bank, 1982-1985.
- Asian Development Bank, 1982-1985.
- African Development Bank, 1982-1985.
- Chairman, Group 24 (A Ministerial group attached to the IMF and World Bank), 1984.
- Presided over SAARC Council of Ministers Conference, May 1995 and November 1995.
- Presided over SAARC Council of Ministers Conference, April, 2007.
Leader of Indian Delegations to:
- Colombo Plan Finance Ministers Conference, Singapore 1975 and Colombo 1976.
- Commonwealth Finance Ministers Conference, 1982, 1983 and 1984.
- Annual General Meeting of World Bank and IMF, 1982, 1983 and 1984.
- Annual General Meeting of Asian Development Bank, 1982, 1983 and 1984.
- Ministerial Conference of WTO, Marrakesh 1994.
- UN General Assembly in 1994, 1995 and 2006.
- Social Summit at Copenhagen 1995.
- 40th Anniversary of Asian Conference, Bandung 1995.
- Conference of Commonwealth Heads of Governments (CHOGAM), Auckland 1995.
- Non-Aligned Foreign Ministers Conference at Carte-Ghana 1995.
Positions held in Congress Party
- Member, Congress Working Committee (the highest policy making body of the Indian National Congress) from 27th January, 1978 to 18th January, 1986 and again from 10th August, 1997 till date.
- President, West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee 1985 and from August, 2000 till date.
- Member, Central Parliamentary Board, AICC 1978-1986.
- Treasurer, All India Congress Committee, 1978-1979.
- Treasurer, Congress(I) Party in Parliament, 1978-1979.
- Chairman, Economic Advisory Cell, AICC, 1987-1989.
- Chairman, Campaign Committee of AICC for conducting National Elections to Parliament in 1984, 1991, 1996 and 1998.
- General Secretary, AICC, 1998-1999.
- Chairman, Central Election Coordination Committee, AICC from 28th June, 1999 onwards.
- Member, Central Election Committee, AICC from 12th December, 2001 onwards.
Honors and Distinctions conferred
- Rated as one of the best five Finance Ministers of the world for the year 1984 according to a survey of Euro Money Journal published from New York.
- Conferred Best Parliamentarian Award, 1997.
- His leadership in the Ministry of Finance and other Economic Ministries was well acclaimed, nationally and internationally. He was considered as the key figure in formulating economic policies of the nation for a long term. Under his stewardship India earned the distinction of not withdrawing the last installment of IMF loan to the extent of US$1.1 billion. He was considered as ranking Minister and presided over the Cabinet meeting of the Union in the absence of the Prime Minister during 1980-1985.
- Conferred Padma Vibhushan in 2008, the second highest civilian Award in the county for contribution in Public Affairs.
Social and Cultural Activities
- President, Nikhil Bharat Banga Sahitya Sammelan, 1995-2001 and again from 2004 till date.
- Chairman, Planning Board, Asiatic Society, Kolkata from 1984 to 1986 and 1992-1996 and from May 2004-2007.
- Trustee, Bangiya Sahitya Parishad, 1984-1990.
- Trustee, Bidhan Memorial Trust, Kolkata since 1998.
- Midterm Poll -1969
- Beyond Survival: Emerging Dimensions of Indian Economy - 1984
- Off the Track -1987
- Saga of Struggle and Sacrifice -1992
- Challenges Before the Nation (on Indian National Congress)- 1992.
Favourite Pastimes and Recreation
Reading, gardening and music.
Travelled all over the world.
- [Editorial Board]
- Email- email@example.com