Dr. Arvind Subramanian
Dr. Arvind Subramanian
Chief Economic Adviser (Oct 2014 - Till Present)
Dr. Arvind Subramanian is the Dennis Weatherstone Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics and Senior Fellow at the Center for Global Development.
He has worked in the Research Department of the International Monetary Fund (1992-2013), the GATT (1988-1992) during the Uruguay Round of trade negotiations, and taught at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government (1999-2000) and the School for Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University (2008-2010, and 2014).
He has written on India, growth, trade, development, institutions, aid, climate change, oil, intellectual property, the WTO, China, and Africa. He has published widely in academic and other journals, including the American Economic Review (Papers and Proceedings), Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Monetary Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Economic Growth, Journal of Development Economics, Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Journal of African Economies, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, International Monetary Fund Staff Papers, Foreign Affairs, World Economy, Journal of Globalization and Development, and Economic and Political Weekly.
He is currently ranked amongst the top 1 percent of the world's academic economists in terms of citation of research, according to the widely used REPEC rankings.
His award-winning book Eclipse: Living in the Shadow of China's Economic Dominance was published in September 2011 and has printed 130,000 copies world-wide in four languages. Foreign Policy magazine named him as one of the world's top 100 global thinkers in 2011. In 2011, India Today magazine named him one of the top 30 Masters of the Mind in India over the last thirty years.
He is the author/editor of five books:
- India's Turn: Understanding the Economic Transformation (2008; Oxford University Press).
- Eclipse: Living in the Shadow of China's Economic Dominance (2011; Peterson Institute for International Economics).
- Who Needs to Open the Capital Account (with Olivier Jeanne and John Williamson; 2012; Peterson Institute for International Economics).
- Greenprint: A New Approach to Cooperation on Climate Change (2013; with Aaditya Mattoo; Center for Global Development).
- Efficiency, Equity, and Legitimacy: The Multilateral Trading System at the Millennium (2002; with Roger Porter and Pierre Sauve; Brookings/Harvard University Press).
His next book, From Wariness to Partnership: Closer India-US Economic Cooperation (with C. Fred Bergsten) will be published later in 2014.
He is a columnist for India's financial daily, Business Standard. He contributes regularly to the UK daily, The Financial Times.
- [Editorial Board]
- Email- email@example.com